Change Management: Speed Reading with Evelyn Wood and Me

After completing the one-day Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics course yesterday, I felt compelled to comment on the course techniques from a Continuous Process Improvement perspective. In a very simple sense, the course is a Lean Six Sigma project on the reading process. The reading techniques eliminate a lot of variation in the process, cut out some non-value added reading steps, set a reading takt time using a 'pacer', and provide clearer instructions to the 'users' of the reading process.

After completing the material, I really did double my reading speed and increase my comprehension. The Evelyn Wood reading process (like most post-improvement processes) really is better and faster.

Next, I went home and did the thing that frustrates every CPI practitioner: I abandoned the new and improved process in favor of the more familiar though less efficient pre-improvement process. I read a book using my tired, broken-down method.

It was a little eye opening to realize that even I, a professional change agent, was resistant to change.

Evelyn Wood products are marketed through Fred Pryor Seminars company (www.pryor.com).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers Lean Six Sigma Workshop

Key Performance Indicators in a Nutshell

Priming the Project Pump: Lean Six Sigma on a Shoestring